Story Lovers World
INVENTORS AND INVENTIONS
INVENTORS AND INVENTIONS
(excerpts from Storytell posts plus original research)
To retell stories, obtain permission from the copyright holder if the material
is not in the public domain.
1) Amazing American Women: 40 Fascinating 5-Minute Reads
Haven. Libraries Unlimited.
2) Another book I found a while back is Hellraisers, Heroines and Holy Women by Jean F. Blashfield. New York: St. Martin's Press, c. 1981 Its 10th chapter called Test Tubes and Telescopes includes such inventors as (1) Catherine Littlefield Greene - cotton gin (no, Virginia, Eli Whitney created the machine from her suggestions and she financed and supported him in the task; (2) Agnes Pockels - discovered surface tension in 1881; (3) Marie Curie - well, you know that one; Ellen Perkins - only woman to obtain a U.S. patent for a device to prevent masturbation; (4) Hannah Rosenblatt - patented a message-carrying bottle stoppered by a cork with a small bell attached for calling attention to it; (5) Dr. Maria Telkes and others who conceived the idea for a solar-heated home; (6) Dr. Alla G. Masevich of the USSR - developed a way to keep track of the Soviet Union's first satellite, Sputnik, and later, more advanced tracking technology; (7) Edith Olson, an inorganic chemist with the U.S.Army who worked with 3 other scientists to shrink the required size of electronic parts for missiles, saving millions a year through her printed circuits. The photographic and lithographic techniques she devised to print the circuits have been used world-wide.
3) MIT has an invention site filled with invention stories and trivia and games!
The Smithsonian also has a website with invention stories.
The Lemelson Center. Excerpt: Behind every invention there's a story. If the Shoe Fits... If you've ever been fitted for a pair of shoes, you've been in close contact with a Brannock Device. Unlike earlier measuring implements, Charles Brannock's 1925 invention measured the overall length, width, and heel-to-ball length of the foot all at once, making better fitting shoes possible for everyone, from children to soldiers... for more information, go to:
Last but not least, check out the invention stories on this website. Famous Inventions : A to Z.
Research the history of famous inventions - past and present.
4) More resources:
"Communication Throughout History"
"Appliances That Changed The Home Forever"
Suggested by Sarah W. 1/5/12
5) Timelines of Invention and Technology. Invention and technology timelines tell the history of famous 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century events.
6) Timeline of historic inventions. The timeline of historic inventions is a chronological list of particularly important or significant technological inventions.
Note: Dates for inventions are often controversial. Inventions are often invented by several inventors around the same time, or may be invented in an impractical form many years before another inventor improves the invention into a more practical form. Where there is ambiguity, the date of the first known working version of the invention is used here.
7) Inventions Timeline. Excerpt: This History Timeline has been developed to provide a 'snapshot' of the famous people and events during this historical time period. Important dates in a fast, comprehensive, chronological, or date order providing an actual sequence of important past events which were of considerable significance to the famous people involved in this time period.
A full History Timeline... Read on!
8) Inventions History.
9) Inventions from the History Detectives, PBS.
10) Top 10 Inventions in History.
Although humans are not alone as tool using animals, we are definitely the planet’s designated experts in the field. Our use of invention, or the innovation of altering an object or process in new ways, may be what truly defines us as a species. Every once in a long while, something is invented which changes, in some small way, the very nature of our lives. Over time, this has made us unique among the animals. While little inventions come out every day, it is these big ones that move us forward into whatever the destiny of mankind turns out to be.
11) We've found another good reference on famous inventions:
"Television, Radio and More - The History of Great Inventions!"
Suggested by Sarah W. 2/21/12
web page created 7/20/04; last update 2/21/12.
Story Lovers World ...707-996-1996
P.O. Box 446, Sonoma, CA 95476